Until you know that your baby is gaining weight and breastfeeding is established, if you need your baby to wake up for a feeding, to keep them from sleeping through their dinner bell, these are some ways to help them wake up to be interested in eating:
- Put them skin-to-skin with you on your chest and wait for their interest in latching on.(1)
- Gently rub hands and feet
- Change their diaper
- Express milk onto your baby’s lips
- Wipe a cool cloth over forehead and cheeks
- Unwrap from blankets (2)
- Ask someone with breastfeeding knowledge to help you.
- Newman, J, Pitman, T, The Latch and Other Keys to Breastfeeding Success, Amarillo, TX, Hale Publishing, 2006 pp 9-10, 32.
- Mohrbacher, N, Stock, J, La Leche League International The Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd Revised Edition, Schaumburg, IL, La Leche League International, Jan 2003, p 83.